Curious Games: I more than fixed it!

adventures in gaming, curious games, indie, Process Writing

This Friday, I met with Pippin to figure out how to program Tic Tac Toe on Stencyl.

We didn’t. But, instead, we decided that I should focus my efforts on other areas of the game, like pushing the experience of having nitrogen narcosis and being underwater even further.

I set up some goals that I thought would be manageable by the end of the allotted time for this project (there’s only a few weeks left in Curious Games Studio). I decided to stay in the lab where I had met with Pippin to use our amazing 3D printer (a Makerbot Replicator 2 known as “Bob”). I then proceeded to accomplish all the goals that I had set out for myself in one afternoon. Pippin suggested that this might be because I was tethered to one place, and I think that’s true, but I also think that it was partially thanks to Bob, who plays tones as he works. When he makes ovals, it sounds like he’s playing the blues.

Those goals were:
– make a silt animation for when the player interacted with the tic tac toe pieces.
– randomize what pieces appear and where on the game board, and randomize when the scene switches (thus randomizing in-game events).
– create floating game tiles that would increase the difficulty of playing the game because the pieces don’t stay where they’re put.

I couldn’t believe that I managed to figure it all out in one afternoon! Now my plan is to create more conditions for the game (more scenes/animations). I think that I may add a bubble animation for air and a silt-out condition. I also want to leave time to play test and fix any bugs that might come up. One of my main worries is that I won’t be able to export the game, which is something that happened with ‘Diver Quest.’

It’s time to get started on stretch goals!